Business owners have a love-hate relationship with SEO. Do those keyword links, link straight to your stress levels and do you wish you lived in a pre-SEO world? Paradoxically, you also know that you can’t really avoid it – not if you want that much sought-after traffic to your site to boost profitability. Here are some solid and simple tips that will make you feel a little more affectionate towards it:
Understand SEO Basics
The key problem is that most people have a very surface-level idea about what SEO is and all they see is the technicality involved. They’ve been told, it’s something that “experts” should handle and so they don’t really make an attempt even to understand the basics.
Stick to the Rules
There are some SEO rules you shouldn’t be breaking if you want to attract that traffic :
- Ensure your site is mobile friendly because most of your potential customers are now using mobile devices. Starting April 21st, Google is slated to use mobile-friendliness as a key ranking factor
- Don’t block the crawlers – check the settings on your site if it isn’t showing up on any search engines
- Have sufficient content; search engines want more to search than just a home page and a “ Contact Us” form
- Identify what the relevant keywords are (there is nothing technical about it). It’s just the words related to your products that users search by. You can use the Google Keyword Planner, WordStream’s Free Keyword Tool or Ubersuggest
- Use keywords correctly and place them at relevant points – in the URL’s, the title tag, in headings and sub-headings, meta description and blog post titles
- Earn links – Do this by ensuring that credible bloggers read your content and link back to it. Once Google sees how popular your site is, your rankings will increase
- Use Social Media smartly- it’s a great way of reaching a larger audience. It can also be easily shared from there and a larger number of people will link to it
Okay, we understand that your heart is still not going aflutter. But make an effort to understand the basics of SEO, and once you get to know it better- maybe love will bloom!!